Rigging expert Jay O. Glerum of Jay O. Glerum & Associates Inc. will present a full-day Rigging Fundamentals Workshop on Thursday, November 10, 2005 in Orlando, FL.
The course is presented by the Seminars and Training committee of The ESTA Foundation, in association with Lighting Dimensions and Entertainment Design magazines. The course will take place from 8:30am to 5:30pm at the Rosen Plaza, ESTA's official hotel for The Entertainment Technology Show-LDI2005.
The fee for the full-day course is $249 before October 1, 2005 or $299 after that date. Boxed lunches as well as coffee breaks will be provided. All participants in this course will also receive a complimentary floor pass to The Entertainment Technology Show-LDI2005, November 11-13, 2005 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando. The course will be limited to 40 people, so early registration is recommended.
The course will cover the essentials of rigging, as follows:
1. The Physics and Metallurgy of Rigging
- How loads exert a force on a rigging component
- Types of forces
- Types of forces
- How the molecular structure of the component resists a force
- Stress and strain of materials
- Allowable deflection
2. Hardware Selection and Application
- How hardware is load rated
- Appropriate design factors for hardware selection
- Sources for determining breaking strength of hardware
- Variables in hardware design that affect strength and operating characteristics
- Load capacity of wire rope and chain
3. Counterweight System Operation Procedures
- Typical line set loading and unloading
- Misplaced loading bridge procedures
- Marking spike marks
- Special situations
Jay O. Glerum has worked in the entertainment industry for more than 40 years. He has been a stagehand, scenery and lighting designer, technical theatre instructor at several universities, and systems designer for a major theatre equipment company. Glerum's well-known Stage Rigging Handbook is the only book on the design, care, and use of stage rigging. He teaches classes on stage rigging throughout the US, Canada, and Europe. Jay O. Glerum & Associates, Inc. specializes in consulting for the entertainment industry.