This year's LDI in Las Vegas proved to be a huge success, with preliminary numbers showing total registrants at over 13,500, up 8% from the last Las Vegas show in 2006.
Prior to the show floor opening, Bob Bonniol of MODE Studios acted as creative consultant to run the Live Design Projection Master Classes. Speakers included Bruce Rodgers of Tribe, Vello Virkhaus of V Squared Labs, Robb Pope of dijital ambiance, Allan Wells of Mdots Design/Fontastics, Pablo Molina from CALarts and MODE Studios, Nick Sears from MODE Studios, and Josh Fleitell live via video from the Shrek tech in NYC. Sponsor representatives who participated in technology presentations and panels included Josh Weisberg of Scharff Weisberg, Steve Gilbard of coolux, Nigel Sadler of Green Hippo, Nils Thorjussen of Element Labs, Gitte Piontkowski and René Berhorst of MA Lighting, Abbe Westerlundh of Barco, and Jeremy Kumin of Enttec.
During the show, awards were presented at the LDI Awards Ceremony on Saturday, October 25 to several individuals, products, and companies.
Here's a rundown of this year's winners:
- Wally Russell Lifetime Achievement Award: Richard Pilbrow
- Wally Russell Most Promising Newcomer: Ben Hagen
Sponsored by Nemetschek North America
- Production Designer of the Year: Jeremy Railton
- Concert Lighting Designer of the Year Award: Bryan Hartley
Sponsored by Epic Production Technologies
- Theatre Lighting Designer of the Year: Rick Fisher
Sponsored by Strand Lighting
Booth Awards were presented to four winners in the following categories, chosen by a panel of designers and programmers who lurked on the show floor.
- Best Large Booth: Coemar/ICD Distribution
- Best Small Booth: PixelRange
- Best Product Presentation: Fisher Technical Services
- Most Creative Use of Light: Vari-Lite
Debuting Product Awards were also presented, with winners decided onsite by a panel of designers in the following categories:
- Special Effects: City Theatrical DMX Snow Machine, developed in conjunction with White Light
- Rigging/Staging: Steeldeck's APACK retractable audience tiering system
- Projection: Element Labs Helix P1
- Lighting (tie): ETC Unison Paradigm system
Nila Lighting System
- Projection: United Visual Artists for d3
- Lighting: ProTester 19 Mobal by Global Design
LDI2009 will be held in Orlando at the Orange County Convention Center, November 20 to 22, with Backstage Orlando and LDInstitute starting on November 16 and conference sessions beginning on November 19. For additional information, visit www.ldishow.com.